Wednesday, September 7, 2011

If the whole world loved Jesus

If the whole world loved Jesus, man, that would be beautiful.  I would never have to worry about the salvation of one of my friends again.

But, I'm beginning to realize that if the whole world acted the way that some Christians do, this place would suck.  I mean, legitimately suck.  And believe it or not, I'm not talking about the so called "bad Christians".

I have been on the receiving end of conversations where people literally just sit there and talk about how this other person is a "bad Christian".  How they don't associate with them because they "don't really love Jesus" the way they should.

That is one of the most frustrating things that I have ever experienced.

I hear what people are telling me.  I love to get into the word.  But had there never been sin in the world, Jesus' death would have been way more meaningless.  You don't shun or look down upon the people who can't love Jesus the way you do, you reach out to them.  You know the way and you SHOW the way.  Show. the. way.  And to show anything, you have to get yourself into the places where sin exists.  And you have to remember your sin - sure, you are forgiven, but once upon a time ago, maybe you didn't realize that.

I heard a message last night, and I really loved it.  I really loved the entire thing until it got to the point where it said, "If something happened to your family, would your world be shaken?"  That actually almost made me angry.  My entire life I have been taught to realize that is the people that matter, not the things.  And I do believe that.  And I believe that God is the center of my world.  I also believe that God gave me such an amazing family because he wants me to love them and cherish them.  So yeah, I would imagine that if something happened to my family, I would be pretty freaking upset.*

Wouldn't you be?

And i get that it means, shaken to the core, probably to the point where you completely lose your faith, devastated... but still.  Part of the beautiful thing about questioning God is that his answers can be the most beautiful parts of your life.  Those moments of clarity beyond all reason.  Those sunrises that seem to speak world of healing into your soul.  The calm of a field of daisys.  Ths power of a waterfall.  The moment when your broken soul becomes whole.

My rant has run out of steam a little.  Something about the idea of me losing my family suddenly makes every other concern in my life seem a little less pressing.  But here goes the issue.

When you become so engrossed in the Word of God that you lose the capacity to LOVE the people he creates, don't you think you might be missing the Message?




*I don't want to ruin the power of that last line, but I do want to say that this section of the blog doesn't really fit WITH the rest of the blog.  The person who gave this talk was in no means a person that I feel judged by or have heard speak negatively about anybody.  It just happened to be in my "sometimes it can be rough to be a Christian" file.  That part of the blog was merely me processing something that was heavy on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment